Wednesday, September 9, 2009

personal history

1.

My family is my greatest inspiration. This is my wife Maria, daughter Kiana and son Kley. Christmas 2008
2.

This is me, "little Woody". Born July 20, 1968 Beryl R. Woodman III. I was named after my father and if there was any question about who my son takes after just compare the photo of me and my Son.
3.

I am Woody Woodman, story teller, dreamer and former Marine.
4.
This is my Great Grandparents on my mother side. Clyde Campbell and Ida Johnston were married in 1902. Great Grampa Campbell was an educator and principle for Everett High School.
5.
This is my Great Grandma Campbell from 1966. She is standing on the porch of the old house in which my parents grew up in. She died a year later in that house before I was born.
6.
This is my Grandparents on my Mom side of the family. Patric Smith and Ila Campbell was married in 1940.
7.
This is my Grandpa Smith with his kids from the 1950's. My mother Patricia on the left in the back, Pat(Grampa)center, Kenny on the right,then front row is JoEllen, Marie the youngest, and Kathleen.
8.
This is my Mom, Patricia. She is about 8 years old in this photo.
9.
Here is my mother with Grandma Smith from the early 1970's.
10.
Here is my Grandma Smith it the old house. She was a beautician for many years and had a shop in the back of the house.

Now the two again from the 1990's. I find it interesting how they have changed positions as my mother got older and assumed position of taking care of her mother.
11.
Here is my Grampa Smith on the old porch with sisters and cousins. Back row is Grampa holding cousin Chris and his sister Shannon. In the front row is my oldest Sister Marlena, middle sister Kathy (Sissy) and cousin Bobby.
12.
This is my sister Marelena and Kathy and a few of my cousins in the back yard of the house my Mother grow up in. I lived in that house from middle school through High school. Now my Mother and Sister still live there. It is a very important place in my life. 1971.

Here is my mother with Marlena and sissy on her lap from the early 1970's.
13.
Here is my Grandpa and Grandma Smith from the 1960's
14.
Here they are again from the 1990's. They have really changed much.
15.
This is Grampa Smith in te 1980's. He smoked a pipe since he was six years old. I still have one of his pipes and when I smell it I smell him.
16.
Here is photo of the Smith girls from the 1970's. Back row left to right; Kenny's wife Amy, my mother Patricia and Grandma Smith. Front row: Kathleen, Marie and JoEllen.
17.
This is my Grandpa Woody, Beryl R. Woodman senior. He served in the Navy and he could fix anything. He was a funny dirty old man but he could tell a story. My sisters, brother and I would sit around the fire place and he would reel us in on a story. Just when he would get us on the edge of our seats he would scare the shit out of us. He was cool. He loved my drawings keeping them tucked behind his chair in the family room.
18.
This is my Mother and Father on their wedding day. They where high school sweet hearts. What a lovely couple.
19.
This is my Fathers garage when we were kids form the 1970's. Dan is with Sissy and Marlena, I am in the back.

Here is my sister Kathy (Sissy) from the 1970's sporting her new Dothy Hamilton "short and sassy" hair dew.
20.
This is me on my birthday from the 1980's. My Grandma Smith just finished making me a "Master of Kung Fu" costume. That was one of my favorite Marvel Comic book hero's. She also made me a matching action figure. Pretty cool.
21.
This is my brother Dan on the same day with his lucky rabbits foot he just made. Yes he cut it from a real rabbit. Iguess it wasn't lucky for the rabbit.

22.
I began in the martial arts when I was 12 and this group has been with me from the beginning. From left to right; cousin Brad Garneau, best friend Harry Yates, myself and brother Dan. This photo was taken after my second degree black belt test in 1992. I was in the just out of the Marine Corps and they where trying to kill me.
24.
He's Mickey one of our family dogs and my running partner.
25.
This is my brother Dan and I diving of the coast of CA 1992.
26.
I joined the United States Marine Corps. October 15th 1987 after High School. I was a "Hollywood Marine", completing my boot camp in Marine Corps. Recruit Training Depot (MCRD)in San Diego CA.
27.
This was taken by my Mother at graduation from boot camp. This is me with a classmate from high school.
28.
I meet my my wife Maria Teresa Evasco in the Philippines 1990. This photo was taken after the Gulf War when Mount Pinatubo errupted.
29.
This photo is from Maria and my first date in Olangopo 1990. I was on my way the the first Gulf War and the restaurant was the Cheeta box club. I know the attenpt at a mustache was pretty bad.
30.
This is my unit in the Philippines from 1990 jungle warfare school. They trained us to survive in the Jungle then sent us to a war in the middle east. You can figure that one out. But I meet my wife so it worked out anyway. Jimmy Misaalefua is to my left.
31.

32.
This is my official Shellback card from Wog day. Wog day is a very old maratime tradition when a crew crosses the equator. Lets just say it involves a wog queen beauty pageant, flip flops on your knees, rotten garbage and leave it at that.
33.
This is my unit the 3rd Low Altitude Air Defense (LAAD) in Desert Storm in Kuwait 1991.
34.
My Staff Sargeant Westerland with me in the desert.
35.
People always see this photo and ask me why would I need to shave in the desert. The answer is easy, if you are bombed with a biological chemical you better have a smooth face so you gas mask seals properly.
36.
Yes that pack is heavy. We hiked and humped around 75 pounds in that pack.

During may tour in the Gulf War Mount Pinatubo erupted in the Philippine. When I returned to the Philippines I found Maria standing on four feet of volcano ash where Olongapo city used to be. This eruption was so big it chance the Earths climate for two years.
37.

38.
This is my Marine Corps roommate from Ocean Side California when I was stationed at Camp Pendleton 1989 to 1991. From the left is My wife Maria and I, then Sharene and Jimmy Misaafefua. Jimmy or "MISA" as I call him served together throughout our service in the Marines.
39.
This is me with one of my jeeps in front of the house in Ocean Side. I had this jeep since high school. My Uncle Rod and his kids helps me build it in 1987. This photo was taken in 1991. This Jeep was one of the inspirations for the Tugger Film I would make some years later.


40.
Here are my kids at the annual Easter party at the Livingston's house. Richard and Cindy Livingston go back to the Disney days in Orlando.
41.
After the Marine Corps. I went back to school. I attended and graduated from Ringling School of Art and Design in Sarasota Florida in 1997. My illustration and painting instructor's and classmates would get together to paint in the Myakka state park. We had good times painting out there, just need to avoid the alligators.
42.
I was recruited by Disney out of Art school in 1997. I stated in clean-up animation working on Mulan, but worked my way into the Story Department. This photo is from the Treasure Planet film around 2000.
43.
Some of my soryboards from Treasure Planet.
44.
This is Maria and I at Richard and Cindy Livingston's house when we where reassembling the Tugger Jeep. The jeep was the official promotional vehicle for the Movie I was making called "Tugger the Jeep 4x4 Who wanted to Fly". 2004
45.
This is the finished Tugger jeep at the Camp Jeep event in Verginia 2004.
46.

47.
These where my roommates while stations at Camp Pendleton. Left to right; Woody, Maria, Sharene and Jimmy Misaalefua. Misaalefua and I where together through out our Marine service.
48.
This my Arnis group in Gotha FL. Arnis is a martial arts from the Philippines. The gentleman in the center is my teacher sixth generation Ama Guro Raffy Pambuan with my son Kley. This system of self defense has been in the Pambuan family since before the Spanish occupation of the Philippines. It has been my pleasure to learn and now help preserve this unique family martial art. It is also fun to include my kids in the training.

Here are my two kids and Kuya Guro (senior teacher) Richard Lee's son Ryan.

49.
Here are two of my Guro"s and a student displaying our Pambuan Tattoo's at bar after class. Guro means teacher in the Philippines, the guys to my right and left are Guro's Albert and Nathaniel. I aided in their training to become teachers in the family system.
52.
This is my nephew Max from Maria's side of the family. We are displaying our new tattoo's. I never got my Eagle Globe and Anchor while I was in the Marine Corps, so I got it with my Nephew. Max was always a little fat kid, but he finally grew up.

Here is my Kids and I with my Nephew Max enjoying Rock Springs. The natural springs are one of Florida's little secrets. Everyone comes to Florida for the highly priced theme parks but in the back yard are these beautiful natural springs that only cost you $5.00 admission and offer cool fun all day in the woods.
50.
Here are my kids enjoying Coco beach on the east coast of Florida. We spend a fare amount of time at the beach in the summer months.
Here is my sisters kids. The boys are my sister Kathy's (Sissy), Andy and Joey. The girl in center is my oldest sister Marlena's, Rebbecca. I have watch them up since they where babies.
53.
This is a family photo from 2007 while we visited my Brother Dan's home in Tennessee. Front row left to right: my sister's husband Matt Junker, Kathy (Sissy), Debbie (brother's wife), her son Zach, Dan next to me, Maria my wife and her parents, Maria and Romeo. Front row; My brother's daughter Katherina with my daughter Kiana, my mother Patsy, Marlena with her husband Chris Kreis. Unfortunately their daughter Rebbecca wasn't in the Photo. It was very nice to have the family together because it doesn't happen very often.


54.
Here is my sister Kathy (Sissy) from 2009.




55.
My kids on the Tugger Jeep 2005.
56.

This Blog is a collection of people and events that have meant a great deal to me in my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Woody,

I just ran across your blog on the web and read the whole thing. I very much enjoyed seeing part of your life and your family. I'm very sorry about your friend Jimmy Misaalefua who just passed away. Love and hugs to you and everyone who loved him, Judith